Baulko Subject Selections
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
May 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Year 9 Subject Selections-Whose Doing What?
permutations EmptyMon Nov 23, 2009 8:09 am by Nathan626

» Yr 10 Yearly
permutations EmptySun Oct 04, 2009 7:42 am by supersath

» Anyone interested in doing the design courses at UTS?
permutations EmptyWed Sep 30, 2009 4:42 pm by LitDN

» whose doing accelerated commerce
permutations EmptyMon Aug 17, 2009 11:24 am by simmonsn

» External subject ~ Dance
permutations EmptyMon Aug 17, 2009 11:17 am by simmonsn

» Anyone choosing it?
permutations EmptyFri Aug 14, 2009 10:57 am by chrisk

» Geography class - Year 11 2010??
permutations EmptyFri Aug 14, 2009 10:51 am by simmonsn

» When can I do Japanese Extension
permutations EmptyTue Aug 11, 2009 1:47 am by ciganag

» The Electives for Year 9
permutations EmptyFri Aug 07, 2009 3:06 pm by chrisk

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search

permutations

+13
~Teh Ben~
chrisk
Shamaya
Sp3000
sandyra
khfreakau
moo-girl
skaiwalker
Sharon den Adel
belle~ <3
NSiriwardena
who am i
simmonsn
17 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

permutations Empty Re: permutations

Post  simmonsn Wed Jul 08, 2009 12:13 pm

[quote="tranquil1ty"]
EonStarwolf++ wrote: I guess it's because I'm doing senior maths and I've been taught to just "accept the formula". Razz

Yes this is off topic, but the mathematician in me cannot help myself.

What a shame you are doing senior maths and have not been taught to appreciate the beauty of the subject. Mathematics is the science of patterns, that is what we do, find patterns and from that come up with formulas and methods that save time.

There is a difference between doing and learning.
simmonsn
simmonsn
Admin

http://virtualb15.edublogs.org

Back to top Go down

Post  simmonsn Wed Jul 08, 2009 12:48 pm

[quote="tranquil1ty"]
simmonsn wrote:
tranquil1ty wrote:
EonStarwolf++ wrote: I guess it's because I'm doing senior maths and I've been taught to just "accept the formula". Razz

What a shame you are doing senior maths and have not been taught to appreciate the beauty of the subject. Mathematics is the science of patterns, that is what we do, find patterns and from that come up with formulas and methods that save time.

There's also a difference between assuming and knowing. I never said I wasn't learning. There are some things in extension/2 that I can't explain because I don't have the knowledge. I just have to accept it. Rolling Eyes

I.e. in Probability, the round table scenario is stupid and makes no sense at all, but I have to accept it or get the question wrong.

Oh well, just wait till we get to teach it to you, hopefully the clouds will part and sense will be had (that's the plan anyway)

Better stop this as now we really are off topic.

P.S. The difference between the circle and the line.

people arrange themselves in a line (lines have a definite starting point and so every position can be defined, start, one position to the right of start, etc). First person has then n different defined positions to choose, second (n -1) and so on. Total arrangements = n X (n-1) X (n-2) X ...X 1 = n!

people arrange themselves in a circle (circles have no definite starting point) First person has one position to choose (ie go sit in the circle), once the first person sits down then the other seats can now be defined, two seats to the left of the first person, etc and so the second person has (n - 1) definable positions. Total arrangements 1 X (n-1) X (n-2) X...X 1 = (n-1)!

How is that for off topic !!!!!

Let us now never speak of it again.
simmonsn
simmonsn
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  who am i Wed Jul 08, 2009 12:49 pm

[quote="simmonsn"]
tranquil1ty wrote:
simmonsn wrote:
tranquil1ty wrote:

There's also a difference between assuming and knowing. I never said I wasn't learning. There are some things in extension/2 that I can't explain because I don't have the knowledge. I just have to accept it. Rolling Eyes

I.e. in Probability, the round table scenario is stupid and makes no sense at all, but I have to accept it or get the question wrong.

Oh well, just wait till we get to teach it to you, hopefully the clouds will part and sense will be had (that's the plan anyway)

people arrange themselves in a line (lines have a definite starting point and so every position can be defined, start, one position to the right of start, etc). First person has then n different defined positions to choose, second (n -1) and so on. Total arrangements = n X (n-1) X (n-2) X ...X 1 = n!

people arrange themselves in a circle (circles have no definite starting point) First person has one position to choose (ie go sit in the circle), once the first person sits down then the other seats can now be defined, two seats to the left of the first person, etc and so the second person has (n - 1) definable positions. Total arrangements 1 X (n-1) X (n-2) X...X 1 = (n-1)!

am i the only one who is utterly confused

Last edited by kappy on Wed Jul 08, 2009 1:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
who am i
who am i

Back to top Go down

Post  NSiriwardena Wed Jul 08, 2009 12:50 pm

[quote="kappy"]
simmonsn wrote:
tranquil1ty wrote:
simmonsn wrote:
tranquil1ty wrote:

am i the only one which is utterly confused

Yes.
NSiriwardena
NSiriwardena

Back to top Go down

Post  belle~ <3 Wed Jul 08, 2009 1:01 pm

IMO, when you can take a shortcut, take it. It saves alot of time. The only time you should learn how to prove a formula is when it actually gets your marks. Otherwise, it's basically worthless.
belle~ <3
belle~ <3

Back to top Go down

Post  Sharon den Adel Wed Jul 08, 2009 1:06 pm

[quote="simmonsn"]
tranquil1ty wrote:
simmonsn wrote:
tranquil1ty wrote:

Well I think I deserve a chance to explain myself. I know how the circle works, but it is non-sensical in that it does not work in a real life scenario.

Okay, We have 4 tables in B11 (real life scenario).

We have persons A B C D to sit in one of four seats. Okay let's say one seat is next to a window (top right), another is next to the teacher's desk (top left), the next is next to the wall (bottom left) and the final desk is in front of the air con. (bottom right)

According to that formula, there will be (n-1)! ways, I.e. 3! = 6 ways.

Okay, according to PURE LOGIC. let's go back to this real life example.
If we put person A next to the window (top left) and then everyone else sits in a circle from there, we have ONE arrangement. In real life, that set-up would be completely different to if I shifted everyone one seat clockwise as they are SITTING IN NEW POSITIONS.

I know you will say something along the lines of "but in mathematics it's the same because they are next to and opposite the same people" but me being someone of LOGIC, I say it's NOT.

Now as you can see, I must accept the formula.

And FYI, I already know the formula for a round table/set-up.

You probably took my first statement waaaay too seriously. And to reassure you, I am not an idiot (that's probably what you think). I know what you are talking about, I know you can prove formulas, but what I'M saying, is that some things are non-sensical from a STUDENT'S perspective. Think what you want, but whatever.

Last edited by tranquil1ty on Wed Jul 08, 2009 1:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
Sharon den Adel
Sharon den Adel

Back to top Go down

Post  skaiwalker Wed Jul 08, 2009 1:08 pm

.... Yes thai. <_<
skaiwalker
skaiwalker

Back to top Go down

Post  moo-girl Wed Jul 08, 2009 1:16 pm

My head hurts. Sad

This is why I am only doing 2 units.
moo-girl
moo-girl

http://moogirl22.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  khfreakau Wed Jul 08, 2009 1:22 pm

Thai and Mr Simmons are on a completely different level here guys, I don't think we have any idea of what's going on =S
khfreakau
khfreakau

Back to top Go down

Post  simmonsn Wed Jul 08, 2009 1:25 pm

If we put person A next to the window (top left) and then everyone else sits in a circle from there, we have ONE arrangement. In real life, that set-up would be completely different to if I shifted everyone one seat clockwise as they are SITTING IN NEW POSITIONS.

I knew I shouldn't have started this, I've broken my own rule.

However you have hit the nail on the head without realising it.

We are interested in the number of ARRANGEMENTS not the number of POSITIONS.

Different positions can be the same arrangements.

Good on you for defending your position, there is nothing better than to see passion for learning. Well done!

Anyway, I better get back to checking out this forum
simmonsn
simmonsn
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  sandyra Wed Jul 08, 2009 1:26 pm

Heyyy, didn't we kinda learn about this with Mrs Cook?
sandyra
sandyra

Back to top Go down

Post  Sharon den Adel Wed Jul 08, 2009 1:28 pm

Yeaaah, guess I suck at trying to say what I want to say on the internet. Mehh. What I was trying to say I guess, is some things appear to be complicated because it doesn't make sense to the students, and you gotta accept it persay until you get it. Okay I'll just shut up now 'cause I dunno how to word this.
Sharon den Adel
Sharon den Adel

Back to top Go down

Post  NSiriwardena Wed Jul 08, 2009 1:29 pm

Didn't stop it sounding freaking impressive.

*Claps*
NSiriwardena
NSiriwardena

Back to top Go down

Post  Sharon den Adel Wed Jul 08, 2009 1:31 pm

simmonsn wrote:

I knew I shouldn't have started this, I've broken my own rule.

However you have hit the nail on the head without realising it.

We are interested in the number of ARRANGEMENTS not the number of POSITIONS.

Different positions can be the same arrangements.

Good on you for defending your position, there is nothing better than to see passion for learning. Well done!

Anyway, I better get back to checking out this forum

Yeah, I know I got it myself, but it just explains what I said in my previous post if you know what I mean. When you first get to the topic, (students) dont seem to get it because of what I said, but obviously it's all logical in the end.

Arghhh, I dunno anymore. I'm terrible at maths alright guys? I can't do maths, I'm doing year 12 because I'm an idiot and etc I'm going to suck at senior maths in our school. The teachers know I suck, everyone knows I suck. I know I suck. I can't do maths. I just accept formulae without knowing anything else. I'm basically the worst at maths, and yeah whatever.. I just wanna be left in peace to do my assignment Sad
Sharon den Adel
Sharon den Adel

Back to top Go down

Post  Sp3000 Wed Jul 08, 2009 1:37 pm

You've got 10 marbles and 5 bags. The marbles are labelled 1 to 10 and the bags are labelled A to E. When you put the marbles in each bag, they must be in 2s or 3s, so you can't have just 1 marble in the bag or something. How many ways can you put the marbles in the bags? XD
Sp3000
Sp3000

Back to top Go down

Post  Sharon den Adel Wed Jul 08, 2009 1:40 pm

Sp3000 wrote:You've got 10 marbles and 5 bags. The marbles are labelled 1 to 10 and the bags are labelled A to E. When you put the marbles in each bag, they must be in 2s or 3s, so you can't have just 1 marble in the bag or something. How many ways can you put the marbles in the bags? XD

Ummmm...... off-topic much? This topic was a response to something else. And I'm sorry Mr. I am so great at maths.
Sharon den Adel
Sharon den Adel

Back to top Go down

Post  Shamaya Wed Jul 08, 2009 2:06 pm

Maths teacher + Thai = Nooo

Maths teacher + Thai + Liang = Tremendous overkill
Shamaya
Shamaya

Back to top Go down

Post  chrisk Wed Jul 08, 2009 2:08 pm

sandyra wrote:Heyyy, didn't we kinda learn about this with Mrs Cook?

Yep, but none of us really got it Very Happy
chrisk
chrisk

Back to top Go down

permutations Empty Lies :o

Post  Sp3000 Wed Jul 08, 2009 2:09 pm

Chris understands all about permutations Surprised
Sp3000
Sp3000

Back to top Go down

Post  Sharon den Adel Wed Jul 08, 2009 2:09 pm

EonStarwolf++ wrote:Maths teacher + Thai = Nooo

Maths teacher + Thai + Liang = Tremendous overkill

Meh, I do it all the time with my smart uncle. (Lol, injoke). Life is no fun without arguments

perms and combs are stupid.
Sharon den Adel
Sharon den Adel

Back to top Go down

Post  chrisk Wed Jul 08, 2009 2:11 pm

Sp3000 wrote:Chris understands all about permutations Surprised

Not really, maybe very basic ones
chrisk
chrisk

Back to top Go down

permutations Empty oh my goodness.....

Post  ~Teh Ben~ Wed Jul 08, 2009 2:25 pm

5th class right here guys. heh...you've lost me..
~Teh Ben~
~Teh Ben~

Back to top Go down

Post  Sharon den Adel Wed Jul 08, 2009 2:30 pm

chrisk wrote:

Probability isn't hard. I dunno why so many people suck at it.
Sharon den Adel
Sharon den Adel

Back to top Go down

Post  NSiriwardena Wed Jul 08, 2009 2:32 pm

tranquil1ty wrote:
chrisk wrote:

Because the result isn't definite? I don't know. I think it's just the methods that can confuse people. I'm pretty good with probability - maybe I should become an actuary?
NSiriwardena
NSiriwardena

Back to top Go down

Post  Sharon den Adel Wed Jul 08, 2009 2:38 pm

NSiriwardena wrote:
tranquil1ty wrote:
chrisk wrote:

Because the result isn't definite? I don't know. I think it's just the methods that can confuse people. I'm pretty good with probability - maybe I should become an actuary?

The questions are tricky... that's about it. And also, people are too lazy to draw diagrams. They seem to magically make seeing the solution a lot easier (perms is just playing with factorials imo).
Sharon den Adel
Sharon den Adel

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum