Baulko Subject Selections
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
May 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Year 9 Subject Selections-Whose Doing What?
Do we do many experiments, or mainly theory? EmptyMon Nov 23, 2009 8:09 am by Nathan626

» Yr 10 Yearly
Do we do many experiments, or mainly theory? EmptySun Oct 04, 2009 7:42 am by supersath

» Anyone interested in doing the design courses at UTS?
Do we do many experiments, or mainly theory? EmptyWed Sep 30, 2009 4:42 pm by LitDN

» whose doing accelerated commerce
Do we do many experiments, or mainly theory? EmptyMon Aug 17, 2009 11:24 am by simmonsn

» External subject ~ Dance
Do we do many experiments, or mainly theory? EmptyMon Aug 17, 2009 11:17 am by simmonsn

» Anyone choosing it?
Do we do many experiments, or mainly theory? EmptyFri Aug 14, 2009 10:57 am by chrisk

» Geography class - Year 11 2010??
Do we do many experiments, or mainly theory? EmptyFri Aug 14, 2009 10:51 am by simmonsn

» When can I do Japanese Extension
Do we do many experiments, or mainly theory? EmptyTue Aug 11, 2009 1:47 am by ciganag

» The Electives for Year 9
Do we do many experiments, or mainly theory? EmptyFri Aug 07, 2009 3:06 pm by chrisk

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search

Do we do many experiments, or mainly theory?

+6
skaiwalker
chrisk
khfreakau
Sharon den Adel
Shamaya
krishkay
10 posters

Go down

Do we do many experiments, or mainly theory? Empty Do we do many experiments, or mainly theory?

Post  krishkay Sun Jul 05, 2009 2:33 am

krishkay
krishkay

Back to top Go down

Do we do many experiments, or mainly theory? Empty Re: Do we do many experiments, or mainly theory?

Post  Shamaya Wed Jul 08, 2009 9:34 am

I wouldn't base your choice of the subject based on the practical:theory but, it'll be more or less similar to what you've had before and entirely up to the teacher.

More than often, the practical is just to prove a point otherwise achievable by reading the text, so it depends on the teacher you get.
Shamaya
Shamaya

Back to top Go down

Do we do many experiments, or mainly theory? Empty Re: Do we do many experiments, or mainly theory?

Post  Sharon den Adel Wed Jul 08, 2009 9:38 am

EonStarwolf++ wrote:I wouldn't base your choice of the subject based on the practical:theory but, it'll be more or less similar to what you've had before and entirely up to the teacher.

More than often, the practical is just to prove a point otherwise achievable by reading the text, so it depends on the teacher you get.

Yeah, I never saw the point to pracs. Takes a double just to prove something that could've been said in 10 minutes. I guess it's because I'm doing senior maths and I've been taught to just "accept the formula". Razz
Sharon den Adel
Sharon den Adel

Back to top Go down

Post  khfreakau Wed Jul 08, 2009 9:50 am

Thai that's only because the experiments we do in science are so pointless most of the time. Like that ridiculous beetle thing. Which you happened to be conveniently away for.
khfreakau
khfreakau

Back to top Go down

Post  chrisk Wed Jul 08, 2009 9:51 am

khfreakau wrote:Thai that's only because the experiments we do in science are so pointless most of the time. Like that ridiculous beetle thing. Which you happened to be conveniently away for.

I think the point of pracs is to make it more entertaining/enjoyable, especially in junior school.
chrisk
chrisk

Back to top Go down

Post  Sharon den Adel Wed Jul 08, 2009 9:52 am

khfreakau wrote:Thai that's only because the experiments we do in science are so pointless most of the time. Like that ridiculous beetle thing. Which you happened to be conveniently away for.

Oh I think I've done that prac before (not in school). Is it the one that's supposed to show evolution over years or something? That one suuuuucks.

Anyway, TICKAH TIMAH!
Sharon den Adel
Sharon den Adel

Back to top Go down

Post  khfreakau Wed Jul 08, 2009 10:01 am

Yeah that's the one.

And damn, the only good prac we did with motion was with them firecarts, when piranavan made them bounce between two draws. EVERY OTHER LESSON was just them damn ticker timers.
khfreakau
khfreakau

Back to top Go down

Post  skaiwalker Wed Jul 08, 2009 11:37 am

tranquil1ty wrote:
EonStarwolf++ wrote:I wouldn't base your choice of the subject based on the practical:theory but, it'll be more or less similar to what you've had before and entirely up to the teacher.

Yeah, I never saw the point to pracs. Takes a double just to prove something that could've been said in 10 minutes. I guess it's because I'm doing senior maths and I've been taught to just "accept the formula". Razz

XD practicals in our class.
Ticker timer
skaiwalker
skaiwalker

Back to top Go down

Post  skaiwalker Wed Jul 08, 2009 1:16 pm

It's been erased =O.
skaiwalker
skaiwalker

Back to top Go down

Post  Sharon den Adel Wed Jul 08, 2009 1:19 pm

Off-topic/answering Kai: And that's why I love Mods. Hmmmm, maybe I should Mod super tight myself on WBB to let off some steam. It'll be funny especially 'cause I'll feel all big. Muhaha, 1.25 million people at my mercy Very Happy (including some of you Baulko pirates!)

On-topic: I believe chemistry is mostly theory but the teacher may like doing loads of pracs.
Sharon den Adel
Sharon den Adel

Back to top Go down

Post  d3st1nyliang Sun Jul 12, 2009 3:20 pm

lol, pracs are a waste of time, there should be plenty of pracs though
d3st1nyliang
d3st1nyliang

Back to top Go down

Post  Sharon den Adel Sun Jul 12, 2009 3:21 pm

d3st1nyliang wrote:lol, pracs are a waste of time, there should be plenty of pracs though

Yeah they are to be honest. Better off just giving us the conclusion right away instead of making us do an entire experiment to "discover" something. Half the time the experiments don't work or people don't get proper results.
Sharon den Adel
Sharon den Adel

Back to top Go down

Post  _ Mon Jul 13, 2009 11:55 am

I can answer your question since I do chem this year.

Yes there is a lot of prac involved in Chemistry, we do at least one every week. I'm not sure what other classes do though. We need to write up the pracs in the form of a report, etc., but most of the time we are told what we need to write. They're collected for marking every week, so we can't bludge!

The pracs aren't really hard or anything.

_

Back to top Go down

Post  Mattger Mon Jul 13, 2009 2:00 pm

vivian wrote:I can answer your question since I do chem this year.

Yes there is a lot of prac involved in Chemistry, we do at least one every week. I'm not sure what other classes do though. We need to write up the pracs in the form of a report, etc., but most of the time we are told what we need to write. They're collected for marking every week, so we can't bludge!

yay i like pracs

haven't done many
Mattger
Mattger

Back to top Go down

Post  d3st1nyliang Mon Jul 13, 2009 3:16 pm

what pracs do you do?
d3st1nyliang
d3st1nyliang

Back to top Go down

Post  Sharon den Adel Mon Jul 13, 2009 3:18 pm

Mattger wrote:

yay i like pracs

haven't done many

We should swap places. In chemistry, we did 2 pracs a week (one in each double). It was awful!!!
Sharon den Adel
Sharon den Adel

Back to top Go down

Post  khfreakau Mon Jul 13, 2009 3:19 pm

^I know right. And like nearly all of them failed in some way. The best one was that fire one though, that was cool. (Y)
khfreakau
khfreakau

Back to top Go down

Post  _ Tue Jul 14, 2009 4:11 pm

Sharon den Adel wrote:
Mattger wrote:

yay i like pracs

haven't done many

We should swap places. In chemistry, we did 2 pracs a week (one in each double). It was awful!!!

Oh you serious? 2 pracs a week?
Well i guess that was only for the period of the time when you guys did chem, as we're doing one prac a week for pretty much the whole year.. and i'm guessing next year won't be much different.

Pracs are mostly to consolidate the theory; most pracs involve chemical reactions - of course, that's why its chem'...

_

Back to top Go down

Post  Mattger Wed Jul 15, 2009 8:08 am

_ wrote:
Sharon den Adel wrote:
Mattger wrote:

yay i like pracs

haven't done many

Oh you serious? 2 pracs a week?
Well i guess that was only for the period of the time when you guys did chem, as we're doing one prac a week for pretty much the whole year.. and i'm guessing next year won't be much different.

Pracs are mostly to consolidate the theory; most pracs involve chemical reactions - of course, that's why its chem'...

well then...

more pracs from chem to make up my deficiency in yr 9 and 10
Mattger
Mattger

Back to top Go down

Post  Jaffers Wed Jul 15, 2009 1:02 pm

I do hope that there are heaps of pracs next year, but most of all I hope I get a good teacher.
Jaffers
Jaffers

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum