Baulko Subject Selections
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
May 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Year 9 Subject Selections-Whose Doing What?
What is Mind & Morality? EmptyMon Nov 23, 2009 8:09 am by Nathan626

» Yr 10 Yearly
What is Mind & Morality? EmptySun Oct 04, 2009 7:42 am by supersath

» Anyone interested in doing the design courses at UTS?
What is Mind & Morality? EmptyWed Sep 30, 2009 4:42 pm by LitDN

» whose doing accelerated commerce
What is Mind & Morality? EmptyMon Aug 17, 2009 11:24 am by simmonsn

» External subject ~ Dance
What is Mind & Morality? EmptyMon Aug 17, 2009 11:17 am by simmonsn

» Anyone choosing it?
What is Mind & Morality? EmptyFri Aug 14, 2009 10:57 am by chrisk

» Geography class - Year 11 2010??
What is Mind & Morality? EmptyFri Aug 14, 2009 10:51 am by simmonsn

» When can I do Japanese Extension
What is Mind & Morality? EmptyTue Aug 11, 2009 1:47 am by ciganag

» The Electives for Year 9
What is Mind & Morality? EmptyFri Aug 07, 2009 3:06 pm by chrisk

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search

What is Mind & Morality?

+2
simmonsn
krishkay
6 posters

Go down

What is Mind & Morality? Empty Re: What is Mind & Morality?

Post  krishkay Sat Jul 04, 2009 7:48 am

chrisk wrote:
krishkay wrote:
Sp3000 wrote:So is it you can either choose to take the summer school session, or you can take one of three modules in a semester?

so mind and morality is the only distinction course? What happened to cosmology :/

Mind and Morality is not a distinction course. The only distinction courses, now, are philosophy and cosmology (they used to have comparative literature but that was scrapped) and they are for Year 12 students that are accelerated.

What exactly is the mind and morality thing? and its a one unit course rite?
krishkay
krishkay

Back to top Go down

Post  simmonsn Sat Jul 04, 2009 8:00 am

Here is a link to the Sydney Uni site, they can probably explain it better than me;

Mind & Morality - Sydney Uni

Ms Mail has some brochures/application forms for those that are interested.
simmonsn
simmonsn
Admin

http://virtualb15.edublogs.org

Back to top Go down

Post  skaiwalker Sat Jul 04, 2009 8:12 am

yeah was also disappointed that it said mind and morality only and no cosmology.. Though I assumed M&M was an alternate name for philosophy
skaiwalker
skaiwalker

Back to top Go down

Post  chrisk Sat Jul 04, 2009 11:25 am

krishkay wrote:
chrisk wrote:
krishkay wrote:
Sp3000 wrote:So is it you can either choose to take the summer school session, or you can take one of three modules in a semester?

so mind and morality is the only distinction course? What happened to cosmology :/

Mind and Morality is not a distinction course. The only distinction courses, now, are philosophy and cosmology (they used to have comparative literature but that was scrapped) and they are for Year 12 students that are accelerated.

Mind of Morality is a 1u course that doesn't count towards your HSC. However, there are benefits (see the Baulko subject selection booklet and the Syd Uni website)
chrisk
chrisk

Back to top Go down

Post  krishkay Sat Jul 04, 2009 12:35 pm

chrisk wrote:
krishkay wrote:
chrisk wrote:
krishkay wrote:

Mind of Morality is a 1u course that doesn't count towards your HSC. However, there are benefits (see the Baulko subject selection booklet and the Syd Uni website)

Chris i havent got the booklet atm,... can u tell me what those "benefits" are?
krishkay
krishkay

Back to top Go down

Post  khfreakau Sat Jul 04, 2009 12:38 pm

Krishna go here and go down the bottom and click on the part which says "Subject selection 11 2010.pdf (220.66KB)"
Heerreeeeeeeeeeeee
khfreakau
khfreakau

Back to top Go down

Post  krishkay Sun Jul 05, 2009 2:42 am

khfreakau wrote:Krishna go here and go down the bottom and click on the part which says "Subject selection 11 2010.pdf (220.66KB)"
Heerreeeeeeeeeeeee

ty

the "main" benefit is that we get six credit points right? but it's only at the faculty of arts, so you cant really use those six bonus points for you know, faculty of med or something
krishkay
krishkay

Back to top Go down

Post  annak Mon Jul 06, 2009 8:46 am

ok so for those who dont know, mind and morality is yes, a philosophy course run by the university of sydney.

in the course, you cover: the nature of the mind, the nature of personal identity, artificial intelligence (from a philosophical perspective) and finally, the nature of morals (ie what they are, and how we decide between them).

its pretty interesting. that's what i thought anyway.

and besides just learning something new and having some interesting discussions, the course is in fact a first year class - when you go to university, you'll get credit for doing the class so, (for example), everyone else might have to take 4 classes first semester, you only have to take 3. also, doing the class gives you access to USYDs flexible entry scheme - that is, when you apply for a degree at USYD, you can apply for a degree even if you didnt quite make the cut off point (UAI/ATAR-wise) for it. eg. i want to do psychology (UAI 91) but i only get UAI 87 - i can still apply for the course.
note: flexible entry scheme does not work with law and medicine departments.

downside: mind and morality cost upwards of $800. but if you go to USYD, that cost is deducted from your first year fee as you will be taking one less class than everyone else.

hope that helps anyone who's interested. i certainly liked doing m&m.

annak

Back to top Go down

Post  krishkay Mon Jul 06, 2009 11:58 am

annak wrote:ok so for those who dont know, mind and morality is yes, a philosophy course run by the university of sydney.

in the course, you cover: the nature of the mind, the nature of personal identity, artificial intelligence (from a philosophical perspective) and finally, the nature of morals (ie what they are, and how we decide between them).

and besides just learning something new and having some interesting discussions, the course is in fact a first year class - when you go to university, you'll get credit for doing the class so, (for example), everyone else might have to take 4 classes first semester, you only have to take 3. also, doing the class gives you access to USYDs flexible entry scheme - that is, when you apply for a degree at USYD, you can apply for a degree even if you didnt quite make the cut off point (UAI/ATAR-wise) for it. eg. i want to do psychology (UAI 91) but i only get UAI 87 - i can still apply for the course.

downside: mind and morality cost upwards of $800. but if you go to USYD, that cost is deducted from your first year fee as you will be taking one less class than everyone else.

So there is no point doing M&M if we want to use the bonus points to help apply for combined medicine and arts (undergrad) at USYD
krishkay
krishkay

Back to top Go down

Post  annak Mon Jul 06, 2009 12:14 pm

you mean combined medical sciences and arts? i doubt it but im not 100% sure about combined degrees. i really doubt it though. check if you want.

krishkay wrote:
annak wrote:ok so for those who dont know, mind and morality is yes, a philosophy course run by the university of sydney.

So there is no point doing M&M if we want to use the bonus points to help apply for combined medicine and arts (undergrad) at USYD

annak

Back to top Go down

Post  krishkay Mon Jul 06, 2009 12:27 pm

annak wrote:you mean combined medical sciences and arts? i doubt it but im not 100% sure about combined degrees. i really doubt it though. check if you want.

krishkay wrote:

No its combined medicine and art (although there are options of engineering, eco, commerce etc.)
krishkay
krishkay

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down